Today I was able to spend almost the entire day with the boys in the NICU. I'm back working this week and doing so remotely from my laptop. So, the nurses let me pull up a chair between the two and get what I needed done while still hanging out with the boys.
Every 3 hours the boys have their temperatures checked, diapers changed, and are fed. Today I got to handle these for each across the entire day. Their feeding amounts have been increased again; they are now at 15ml (a tablespoonful) every time. Colton took one full feeding today via bottle and Hudson tried his first bottle feeding. He was only able to make it through about a third of his milk, but the nurse said that was great for his first time. And when changing Colton's diaper this afternoon, I left him uncovered just a tad too long and got a lovely spray as he peed right there. I'm sure it won't be the last time that happens!
This evening when Landon got back from working at the coffee shop all day, we held the boys kangaroo for over an hour. Another thing we learned in our class yesterday about kangarooing- moms naturally have the ability to regulate the temperature of their baby while dads typically will just overheat. And it's totally true. In my holding Hudson for over an hour, his temp was a perfect 98.5 and for Landon with Colton, his temp was 99.0. Another crazy thing about moms and pregnancy hormones I guess.
At the NICU's suggestion, we took pictures of each boy with a stuffed animal today. They say to then take a picture with the same toy periodically in order to really see just how much the boys grow and change.


No comments:
Post a Comment